I've made my decision...with a lot of talking to different people on their favorite marathons - pros and cons...and what not- and I've decided that I will be registering as soon as registration opens for the Ogden Marathon! My first marathon will be May 19, 2012! Anyway I still have time to change....obviously...but I'm excited to have made my training plan and will be excited to start training for a ...gasp...marathon!
Here's the information I got - for those of you thinking of doing a Utah marathon - that made me choose the marathon I did. And those that have done Ogden and others can give me their feedback..and maybe persuade me to go another direction:
My five choices were:
Salt Lake (April), Ogden (May), Utah Valley (June) Top of Utah (September) St George (Oct)
Here's the breakdown of the info I got -
Salt Lake-
Urban...boring and flatter than others - plus it's in April which means long training runs during the dead of winter!
Ogden -
The marathon with the least amount of urban streets that you run through - downhill - great scenery - same elevation change as UV - and yes a few rolling hills but you don't notice them as much as UV. And it's May - so it's not as hot as UV -
UV -
A lot like Ogden , however, long straight 5 miles after coming out of the canyon - bigger hills than Ogden - but good race too
TOU -
Can be VERY cold for the first few miles. People who ran this, couldn't feel their toes for the first 3 miles. Great race though. Training in hot summer!
St George-
Lottery - might not get in...plus it's at the end of summer/in fall...that's a long time to wait for my marathon...I think this is a great second marathon ;)
So there you have it! Whats your favorite marathon in Utah? What are some comments you have on the 5 marathons I listed?
Whose going to run it with me next year???
BEST. NEWS. EVER. I agree that Ogden is a great marathon! You will absolutely love it. The support is so awesome and the course is literally lined with people cheering. I hated it because I raced horridly and was an idiot, but it was definitely my favorite course of the two I have ran.
ReplyDeleteIf I don't get into Boston I will be right there with you girl!!
ahhhhhhh!!!! yayyyyy!!!!! so excited for you. you will do amazing. and running a marathon was the freaking best experience of my life. cant even wait for you to do this. can i train with you???? and run the freaking race with you????????? can we go celebrate this decision!?!!
ReplyDeleteI loved Ogden! So proud of you for making the commitment! WAHOO!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! I am not sure I'm ready to committ to a marathon just yet. It scares me!! So excited for you though!
ReplyDelete