Thursday, May 19, 2011

I seriously have issues...

So I'm laying in bed...the first day of my 16 week challenge completed and what a crazy day it's been.  I seriously have competitive and pride issues and I am aware of that.  I just finished my first day with a pretend to be accurate pedometer coming in at 24,120 -  not too shabby since my whole goal was to try and reach 20,000 steps a day average (rest days will be less and long runs will help make up for that)

However let me start off by saying there is a guy in our department that ALWAYS wins...very competitive and in your face kind of show off.  He wins everything from Easter egg hunts to eating contests.  And let's just say...it really pisses me off.  I can't stand that he wins everything - and so my whole goal here is to beat his team (no way I will beat him cause he is the kind of person that will stay up until midnight tapping his feet just to get the most steps) but I want to beat his team.  So this morning we are in there all talking - and here's how the conversation kind of went:

Me: Man everytime we gather to talk we need to just start walking in place to help with our numbers
Other coworker: yeah we should all stand up and work..haha if only
Me: Heck yeah I'm trying it.  Oh yeah I can totally do this all day (picture me standing with my laptop walking in place (looking more like I have to go pee really bad) while trying to work)
HIM: You could not, you wouldn't even last an hour standing up and working.
Other coworker: Oh man I would put money to see you stand up all day long
HIM: She couldn't do it
Me:  You're on

*** So I stood there racking up some steps ( I wasn't stepping the whole time cause truth be told I was already getting sweaty...and sweat + jeans = no fun )  But I was bound and determine to show my coworker that I could beat him and to beware... And I stood there for 2 hours before I got frustrated trying to work on my itty bitty laptop screen instead of my two screens - and decided I have too much work to be done to let my pride get in the way ***

So I walked over to his desk to let him know I had too much work to do and that I wasn't standing anymore.  And this is our conversation went:

Me: K I'm done..I have too much work to do and I'm so slow using that little screen (oh it pains me to even remember saying it.  Might be the hardest thing I've ever had to do!)
HIM: Part of the deal was dealing with getting your work done still.  And there were a lot of bets on the line on how long you would last...and you went longer than I thought. (In a snotty I win everything attitude)
Me: Do you want me to get pissed and continue doing it again
HIM: Yes
Me: Argh you suck (and I walked away)

I don't know why..his attitude just irks me the wrong way and I really hate losing to someone that plays dirty and is so over the top competitive in your face, push anyone out of the way to win type person.  I'm competitive...but to an extent. I'm not mean - I sabotage...but I'm not mean (ok I might be a little mean)

Anyway that's how my day started off...all before 10 o'clock in the morning.   So I had schedule on my list to do a 6 miler today.  So I ran 3 by myself knowing my neighbors wouldn't be ready for a 6 yet.  And then waited for them.  We went out to run and it started raining...again.  Dang rain- I'm kind of getting sick of you!  And so we cut it short to just one mile.  And I finished my six miles on the treadmill..and I hate the treadmill.  But I finished my mileage.  My knee is bugging again so I'm definitely taking a rest day tomorrow - I was kind of trying to convince myself to run tomorrow - just 3 miles, but with my knee hurting and with this insane decision to run 15 miles this Saturday - I'll take it easy.  I don't want to get hurt with my two half's looming over my head?

Are you competitive?  Is there one person that really brings out your competitiveness more than any other person in the whole world?I seriously may have likened him to the devil...might be an extreme...but it may have been said once or twice today.

Anyone doing any races over Memorial Weekend?  Anyone in Utah doing one? 
I want to do a small 5k or 10k...something - but not sure what to do yet.  Oh and I just found out the weekend before my half I have to work :(  K I knew it was coming I have to work one Saturday a quarter - but it stinks that it landed on a very crucial day...looks like for sure I won't be running very far - or I get up at the butt crack of dawn.  Probably not!

And I've been a HUGE commenter slacker and I seriously apologize!  I haven't been stalking from my computer very often - and I wish I could comment on my phone -and then by the time I get on my computer to comment - there are a million more posts to read and I try to get to them all.  Trust me I am blog stalking - and I am so grateful for all our comments and I love all your posts!  Thanks for being my blogger friends.  Though after this post you all might hate me.  I do have issues!

5 comments:

  1. I am very competitive, which is something I've had to work on during my training. I'll be on the 'mill or the track, and the person next to me/on the track will pass me, and my instinct is to speed up, even though I know I don't need to because I have a set pace in mind. But it is still really tempting.
    My hubby is super competitive too... We have just recently (as in, in the past couple of months) gotten to where we can play against each other in games or workout together and not turn it into a cutthroat competition. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so competitive! It's really bad, the joke in my family is that I can't even play any board games without being aggressive!
    I'm racing a trail half this weekend and then a 5k on Memorial Day!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i mean I am seriously competitive...about EVERYTHING. that guy would make me so angry. get outta here buddy. do not even give him the time of day. he is just jealous of how awesome you are and then you are going to have 3 half marathons under your belt in no time :)

    I am excited that we are going to run with Stef and Ruth! that will be awesome! and make the miles fly by :) I am sure we can find a way to make it a little longer as well to get more miles in! It will just be fun to have a big group!

    next weekend is the memorial day 5k/10k in Orem. I have not decided whether or not I will sign up but we got a 15% off code for running Provo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I am way competitive and other times I am kind of go with the flow and whatever. Totally depends on the circumstance. I could see myself being entirely competitive in the situation you described.

    If I don't die running my marathon I will most likely sign up for a 10k over memorial day weekend. I may opt for the free one on Monday that 26.2 advertised but really don't know yet.

    Goodluck with your 15 miler on Saturday!! I am way excited for you guys. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeahhhhhh! I didn't know about the free one...even better! I may do that because I would like to get my 12 in on saturday morning! That way I can still get my LR in and still race as well! I do not know but I am definitely considering it!

    ReplyDelete