Saturday, June 11, 2011

Utah Valley Half Marathon Recap

First of all - stats  via Garmin -  13.15 - 2:07:52 - Average Pace 9:43/M - 
782/1949 Overall  &   75/208 Age Group

I woke up at 3:00 in the morning in order to get on one first ten buses to try and win a pair of new shoes...well I got on the first bus and it was a bust.  Might as well have slept in until 4 - cause standing before the race for 2 HOURS is a long freaking time.  Not to mention it being freezing cold.  But I spent the time with Julia's sister - Jenn and Stefanie on their first every half marathons! 



Miles 1 -4 ( 10:18, 9:46, 9:57, 9:12)

So the race started promptly at 6:00 - thank goodness and we all started off.  Stef and I had decided to try and run this thing together - unless something happened - and Jenn took off amazing fast.  I was so proud of her!  These first few miles I got a side stitch - so annoying and I was trying hard to pace myself! I didn't want to have a burn out like last time and wanted to finished strong.  Around mile 3 there was a little uphill which totally sucked! We got to see the sweet Ruth as she came past us and just kept going!  I was in awe!   And I think our 4th mile was so fast because Stef needed to use the restroom.  So I decided to keep going after mile 4 so I could get my goal time - but was so sad I was going to do it alone!  I totally thought Stef would catch up to my slow self - but with the downhill part I started booking it!

Miles 5 - 9 ( 8:44, 8:58, 9:28, 9:11, 9:28)

These next 5 miles were my favorite.  I felt great.  It was a nice gradual downhill and I wasn't even looking at my garmin.  I told myself I would run whatever pace I felt comfortable with and I knew I was going fast...but it felt good!  I wasn't tired and I even forgot to take some chomps until almost mile 6 when my plan was at 5. (I feel so bad cause I passed Jenn and didn't even see her!  I was looking for her and must have missed her!)  I came out of the canyon and knew that would definitely be the hardest part.  I was hoping for more crowd support but there was just pockets of people looking for their runner.  I had told my husband just to meet me at the finish line - so I was going with no one being there to support me.  Then I notice a yellow sign that said, "Rochelle's Oreo Aid Station" - and I was so excited!  My coworker and boss had showed up to support me and I feel so incredibly touched that they would do that!  My boss lives in Draper and came all the way down to be there at 7 in the morning to show his support.  It truly made my mile 8.  I told him he was lucky he didn't run cause I would be kicking his trash...then I spoke too soon! I was with the 2:05 pacer at this time and thought...I could totally do that for 5 more miles.  At about 8.5 I started really feeling fatigued and the bottom of my feet ached from being on them for over 3 hours.  I had every intention of stopping to walk at mile 9 but kept on going - just trying to make it to the next aid station.  To my luck, my husband and kids were there at mile 9.75 giving me the extra boost to make it to the mile 10 rest stop!  I was sooo soo sooo excited and felt so thankful to have them come and cheer me on.  I know those roads sucked so I felt definitely blessed that he would take that on and come see me before the finish!

Miles 10 - 13.15 ( 10:08, 11:06, 10:13, 9:54, 1:24)

As you can tell from my times, I slowed down considerably during the last 4 miles and they were the toughest by far.  I could see where the finish line was for these 4 miles and it totally sucked.  I kept thinking I'm so close I can do it - but it was so hard!  I walked further past the aid station at mile 10 then I meant to but I was able to keep running until mile 12.   Seriously this is where I can see the biggest difference between my two halves.  I was so tired and exhausted and ready to be done but I finished strong.  I made my goal of running 95% of the time.  Yes, I had to walk and yes if I could have kept my speed I could have made my ultimate goal of under 2:05 - but I kept on running.  My last half -I did the walk/run from mile 4 on because I was so tired... and this time around I was able to do a slow and steady pace up to the finish line.  And it felt great crossing that finish line!!!

Stef and Jenn quickly followed with a 2:16 & 2:22 I believe!  I'm so proud of those girls.  First half marathon's suck and I'm so proud of them for doing it mostly on their own!  It's hard!

Then I got the oppurtunity to stay around and wait for Justus' cousin to come through on the marathon. I had no idea she was running the full and his other cousin was running the half.  And not to mention we finished within seconds of each other and didn't see each other!  It was so nice to be able to see Rachelle, Ashley, Amber, and Julia all come through!  They are freaking rockstars and I'm so glad I got to see them finish!!! 

Me, Alyson, and Amber (Justus' two cousins)


I feel so much better about this half.  I know I prepared well and gave it my all.  I was able to pace myself so much better this time around and was able to have 2 miles in the 8's which is way awesome.  I truly believe with me focusing on running more miles per week instead of just long runs really helped!  I felt more nervous this time around but I was definitely more prepared. 

 I can honestly say that this half was exactly what I wanted for a race. I signed up in December and this race was 6 months in the making.   I went out, gave it my all, trained hard and had a great race.  Such a wonderful race and I loved this course way better than the Provo half. 

3 comments:

  1. Rochelle I cannot even begin to explain how proud of you I am. It is so evident that you totally ran YOUR race and that is a huge accomplishment. You crushed your last time in a matter of weeks and worked so hard to get here. I hope you celebrated TONS :) Can't wait till we can all celebrate together!! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rochelle I am so proud of you! Congratulations girl, you totally deserved this and you should be so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RUNNING WITH ME!!! I am seriously so grateful to have had you for those first four miles. :) You are such a rockstar and I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! You seriously rocked this half marathon. Your time is just amazing, and I TOTALLY wish I could have been there to cross that finish line with you!!

    Also...if you stop blogging I will be totally sad. Sure, it's fun to have people comment and read your blog, but if it's also something that can help YOU make goals and make progress, then I say forget all of the comments and followers. They don't matter, and you are totally right, it isn't a reflection of WHO YOU ARE. Especially because YOU ARE JUST AMAZING, and I am so glad that I get to be your stalked and KNOW you in real life!!

    ReplyDelete