Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm addicted

It's official, I have really hit the running addiction status.  After saying I should take the weekend off - I did not.  I ran Saturday 7.5 miles in the morning with the wonderful Ashley & Rachelle...then I went out with my neighbor that night to do another 4 miles.

I look like a ghost compared to these two - and I just look dumb...haha I need to work on my modeling skills!

Here's my miles for Saturday...I was bound and determined after Rachelle told me to run 5 miles in a 7 mile run at the pace I wanted, that I was going to do it. So my first 5 miles were fast...then I died..but that's ok!

First run-
Mile 1: 8:52
Mile 2:  9:07
Mile 3: 9:16
Mile 4: 9:22
Mile 5: 9:32
Mile 6: 11:15
Mile 7: 11:34
Mile .5: 5:38
7.5 Miles - 1:14 ~ 9:57 average pace

Second run -
Mile 1: 10:47
Mile 2: 10:27
Mile 3: 10:29
Mile 4: 10:12
4 Miles - 41:58 ~ 10:29 average pace


"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."
-PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

I just love this quote.  I sometimes always get caught up in how slow I am compared to everyone else, how much fatter I am than everyone else, how unhealthy I am compared to everyone else.  And I forget that I am competing only with myself.  I'm not running to beat anyone but myself - to prove to myself that I am capable of succeeding.  Saturday night I was able to run with my neighbor and it's so nice to run with someone starting out like me.  It brings me back to what I have accomplished and it's not a constant reminder of what I am not doing. Now I also love running with fast people - they help to push me beyond my comfort zone.  It's nice to have a balance between the two.

8 comments:

  1. You go girl! Way to rock both of those runs! You are so right...you are running for YOURSELF! I struggle with the same thoughts sometimes. Just remember how far you have come...you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Rochelle. You are amazing for going out and running an extra 4-miles. You have come such a long way and I am incredibly proud of you.

    I sometimes get caught up in comparing myself to others but I try to remind myself that I am only running against myself. Its me vs. me. I kept repeating this during the Provo half and it really helped me to stay positive and not get discouraged when people passed me. Thanks for sharing the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the run...and then the one afterwards as well, awesome!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. I keep reading all these blogs with people talking about their 10+ mile runs with 7 minute miles through the whole thing, or the go on about how they eat 8 servings of veggies a day and don't eat processed or fast food and I think, "Wow, I really suck at this whole running/fitness/healthy thing."
    But then I remember... I'm already so much faster than I was just a few months ago, I may not eat a "perfect" diet, but I eat well for the most part, and I'm proud of what I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you are incredible for running twice and keeping your times so good! I am jealous. and just as white (if not more so) than you! we should get together before the UV half!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the mileage! That is definitely something to be proud of!! I love what you said about competing with yourself, because that's how I feel and sometimes I forget it! It is so easy to get caught up in who is doing what, that you lose sight of why you are actually doing it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your last paragraph! Great insight! There will ALWAYS be someone faster, skinnier, smarter....I've had huge struggles in my life just being able to be proud of myself and I tell you ISN'T IT JUST AN AMAZING FEELING TO HAVE!!!!!

    Love the running addiction. I know nothing about this-ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that quote too!!

    Nice job on the runs :D

    ReplyDelete