Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy National Running Day!!!

I'm bound and determined to run today on National Running Day!  I wasn't able to go this morning like planned-  and so now I'm anxiously awaiting my husband to come home so I can get out the door! I just can't run on the treadmill on National Running day...or with such a nice day today!

So I'm kind of having anxiety about the Utah Valley Half Marathon in a little over a week!  I have been doing really well at increasing my mileage throughout the week - I've been doing longer runs during the week and running 4 times a week.  I feel confident in running the whole half....that being said - I haven't done any speed work.  I know the last post stated that I didn't care about my time...and I don't...didn't...I'm bi-polar ok?  But it's so hard to read blogs of all these girls increasing their speed - being amazing...and not feel a little sad at my lack of speed.  I hate the comparing and I know my lame-o post have been poor pitiful me regarding comparing.  I'm excited to be going out with my neighbor tonight and just enjoying running again.  I've been doing strength work the last few days and I'm hoping that helps me be a stronger runner.  I think I'm mostly just anxious to go running that I'm having doubts and problems...just let me go out there!  Let me conquer the 4 miles on schedule for tonight!!!

How do you guys keep from comparing and feeling terrible about your progress?

Should I quit blogging and stop looking at others blogs to feel better about myself - cause I don't think I could do that...I love the running community that I've come to know - just wish I was the fastest! LOL

What's your favorite weights/strength training exercises?

 I've done weights and some P90X so far...but it's kind of boring!

3 comments:

  1. Rochelle! Please do not ever beat yourself up about speed. If you are out there running because you love it and you feel good doing it...then that is what counts! Speed will come. Lets do some hill runs together sometime! Those always make me feel stronger and like I am improving! They suck while you do them but I feel great after!

    I think reading blogs constantly it is definitely hard to NOT compare sometimes. But I just have to keep in mind that I can only do what MY body can do...some days are better than others but there is no reason to push myself beyond my limit. You are great, fabulous and amazing just the runner you are now...do not ever forget that!

    I LOVE circuit training. It is awesome...and while I could not run...I did it every day. I have lost a lot of strength since I stopped doing it and have also lost any work I put in on my abs...oops. This summer I have a goal of getting back into strength training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed your 4-miler girl! I completely understand how hard it can be to not compare yourself to others. But remember that you have only been running for about a year and you have come SO FAR!! You have years ahead of you to improve speed.

    I think that you are amazing and I am so excited for you to run Utah Valley. You will PR for sure, I just know it!

    I really want to try p90x this Summer but we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 DAYS EXACTLY -to the second! TIL UV 1/2!! WOO YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete