Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mantras

First two updates: 

#1 - Down already 1 lb - water/dr.pepper weight.  But today we went to Chili's and I had to get that molten chocolate lava cake -it's the best!  I can't help myself. But I'll be better tomorrow! 
 
#2 - Yesterday my leg didn't hurt at all...but I didn't work out either.  So I went to the gym during lunch today to test out my running.  I started and my leg was bugging me so I did .5 mile and switched to the elliptical - I decided to go as fast as I could and did .75 miles and decided I wanted to do an even 2 miles and I wanted to run!  If my leg was going to hurt I was going to at least get the most out of it.  So I took off and did a mile in 8:34 (7MPH) - and it was easy breathing wise, but my leg was killing me.  Anyway I pretended to lift some weights for awhile and then went to work.  And guess what?  My left leg is feeling great - My right shin is killing me.  It has to be shin splits for sure.  So I'm just going to go out and run...and just fight through the pain!  So I'm debating doing the full 12 miles this week with everyone - but scared out of my mind to do 6 miles uphill before coming back down.  Hills freak me out - like terrify me - but if I can do this at a 10 M/M pace again - I'll freaking rock the half in two weeks!!

So the lovely Julia did her Monday Footnotes again - this time on running Mantras.  And for me - I've learned that running is seriously 90% mental for me.  If I'm not feeling it, or if I don't think I can do it - I'm not going to do it.  I've had horrible days where I only run for a few minutes cause my mind isn't in it. 

I don't really have a "mantra" that I use while running ... but whenever I have to fight a mental roadblock - I say to myself... "If I can lose 55 lbs I can do this, If so-and-so can go through this I can run one more mile.  One of my close cousins that I've talked about a few times before -had a baby in July - (I can't believe it's almost been a year) - and this was right around the time I was doing my first 10 minute runs on the couch to 5k program.   My cousin had multiple problems (also multiple blessings) with her delivery that caused her baby to be born not breathing and they were worried about the time she spent without oxygen. She had a cooling cap put on to prevent more damage and her outcome was unknown.  I think that's what started my mantra.  I just kept thinking, if my cousin can go through this, I can run 10 minutes...if she could go home from the hospital without her baby - I can pick my fat butt up and run tonight even if I don't want to.   If she could endure 10 days without holding her baby, I can do anything. I still say little things like that all the time - sometimes about my cousin still, sometimes about other people that I have heard horrible things happen to.  I find my strength in what others have had to go through.  There is so much worse out in this world than running - that if they can go through that...I can endure anything for a short time.

Anyway - my cousins baby is perfectly normal and everything turned out great!  But it was a few weeks of hell and I can't imagine how she did it. 


What are your plans for Easter??

My mom is doing an Easter egg hunt with the kids on Saturday - the Sunday....nice and relaxing at home.  I still have to go shopping for the boy's baskets...I'm the worst at being a creative, holiday mom...I'm a slacker! 

Ever had Shin Splints?  Did they just go away after awhile?


Make sure to do a post on mantra's and link it to Julia's  blog in order to make the coolest collection of running inspiration posts that you have ever seen!  I'm so excited to be able to read on different topics.  Julia is seriously the best!!!!


3 comments:

  1. 55lbs is awesome!!! I lost 40 over the last 2 years but I'm gaining some back without being able to do much cardio. ughhh. I'll be there soon!
    I feel like I ramble in all of my blogs. I seriously feel like I have the shocked Taylor Swift face everytime I get a comment because I can't figure out how nay one can make it through one of my posts. OH WELL!
    I love reading your blog so ramble on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! thanks for participating...and you are awesome for the sweet comments and shoutouts :)

    we will totally rock a 10 min average this weekend. do NOT even stress. I am so confident in us.

    Thanks for sharing your story about your cousin as well. I like your mantra method!

    you are amazing :) see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Rochelle. It is so true about the mantra thing I often think about how rough others have it and am able to ignore my silly pains.

    I got shin splints incredibly bad when I first started running and they really suck but I promise if you just keep running through them eventually they will go away. You should really try some compression sleeves because they really help.

    Have a great weekend and congrats on already being down a pound. I am running 18.64 miles in the snow and then headed straight to an Easter party. No rest for the weary. :)

    ReplyDelete