So this mornings run...wasn't quite what I expected. We set out to do 12 miles, and I definitely wanted to do at least 10 in order to have a third double digit run before my half. But I was nauseous all night long and just felt awful. When I woke up I felt weak and like I was going to punk at any second. I was also not mentally in this run - so I knew today was going to be a struggle.
I started out keeping up with Julia but then had to dry heave three different times. Because of these stops and trying to keep up with Julia - I actually made decent mile splits considering stopping and walking breaks. I was trying to get 5 miles in before turning around and going back and decided to take a GU at 4.21 - and it was an automatic upchuck of the GU. The poor lady that was right behind us! It was awful. So I decided that was my cue to turn around...and my mile time on that was ruined because I just kept my garmin going. I finally felt good at mile 5 and decided to just run fast my last few miles...to make up for coming up short 4 miles on my planned 12 mile run!
Here's my splits:
Mile 1 : 9:49
Mile 2 : 10:07
Mile 3 : 11:12 (dry heaving moments)
Mile 4 : 10:18
Mile 5 : 10:45 ( GU accident in here - makes this a little more impressive huh?)
Mile 6 : 9:51
Mile 7 : 8:52
Mile 8 : 9:26
Total: 1:20:25 - 10:03/M average
Even though this run was not what I wanted to do - I'm really happy with it. Here are a few things that I learned/liked about this run
1. First of all, I have had two good double digit runs two weekends in a row - I was bound to have a problem at some point. I'm glad it happened today and hopefully that means I will feel great on the day of my half.
2. I will not drink GU while running - especially when my stomach is feeling icky - and will stick to chomps!
3. I knew I was mentally not going to do well this run and I wasn't feeling good - and I still made 8 miles in a good pace. I could have turned around after mile 2...I could have not ran and just walked...I could have called my husband to come pick me up - and I didn't. Chalk that up for a win! LOL
4. I finished strong..even if come May 7th I am feeling bad - I can run through it and finish strong. I can make it. I will finish my half marathon.
5. I should have tapered a little...feeling this way forced me to taper - but running three double digit runs, especially with my training during the week being weak - was not a great idea. I should have planned better to lessen my mileage one weekend in between the long runs.
6. Running 8 miles in 1:20 seemed like a short run after two double digit runs! Maybe with all the drama it made it go quicker - but seriously one second it was mile 2 and the next thing I know it was mile 6. And chasing Julia trying to catch back up with her - going way faster than I normally run - actually helped take my mind off the stomach pain.
7. My legs felt great and still feel good!
8. This was my third long run without any side stitches! I think my biggest problem was not enough food in the morning - or the wrong kind - but I'm sticking to my cream cheese and bagel cause it works!
9. I feel more confident after this run than any other run that I can finish my half.
I'm sad I didn't get a 12 miler in before my race - but I feel like this was a good learning run on what I am capable of. And I'm going to run somewhere between 5-10 miles this weekend to prepare. My goal this week is to run at least three times - and run at least 3-5 miles twice. I've been a slacker on my mid-week runs the past few weeks.
I'm so excited that I only have 2 weeks until my half and on more weekend for a long run! I can't believe it's almost here! I feel like once I complete my half marathon - I'll really be able to call myself a runner!
Girl...you run every week so you ARE a RUNNER! and a GREAT one at that. I think anything we do in life is all about the experience and learning. And this half is your first one so crossing that finishing line will be HUGE. Finishing a big race is a true prize. I am SO proud of you for the work you have put in and enjoyed reading what you have learned. I will let you know when I have officially "signed up" for the half. We should meet and at least start together so that we can push ourselves or just give each other some encouragement at the start line :)
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you need a running buddy at any point this week to make sure you get your week day runs in!
That's a pretty awesome run to not feel well!! Hope you are better soon and YAYYY for only 2 weeks until your half! : )
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you didn't feel good but so proud of you for still running hard and finishing strong. You have proved to yourself that you are a strong runner and that confidence is so important.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are getting over the side stiches, that is such great news. You are totally going to rock the half-marathon and I promise I will be there to cheer you on. You are a strong runner!
Have a good Easter with your cute little boys. :)
Way to stick with it even though you were sick! I do not fair well with tummy issues. I'm not sure I would have even made it out the door to run if I was feeling sick. Go you!
ReplyDeletewow you are ROCKSTAR for sticking with it through the sickness... i would have for sure stopped :) I am SO impressed with you... I am running the UV half as well and have yet to run double digits! eek! good luck!
ReplyDeletehope you had a wonderful easter with your cutie boys!!