Thursday, April 28, 2011

What I've Learned

I kind of get antsy when I don’t post often…is that weird?  I feel like I should have something amazing to say each day or something new to share – but I haven’t even had time to post!!! 

So first I must say – I think I found the cause of my leg/knee pain two weeks ago. So after my run on Saturday and didn’t feel any pain whatever – my muscles weren’t even sore- I was so happy to think I was overcoming these shin splits.  Well Monday night I put on my Mizunos that I bought a half size too small and I can’t run in – and headed to Zumba and those shoes cause my pain. I then ran 2 miles in them just to be sure they were the cause..yep.  There must be something with the way I walk/run in these that causes my pain.  Weird huh?  But I’m so glad I can find the cause!   I’m going to be hanging up the shoes…anyone want a pair of 8.5 shoes?? 

So I’ve started incorporating morning and lunch time runs.  For the past three Thursdays – I’ve gone to run 3 miles and lift weights (who am I kidding, about 5 minutes of it) at the gym during the lunch.  And I’ve done a few morning runs – and I like it…but I am by no means turning into a morning work-out person.  I still would rather work out at night – but it’s nice to have all night to do whatever I want without having my work out over my head.

So Julia's Monday Footnote this week is about lessons learned while running.  Running has been a wonderful learning experience for me.  Each day I seem to learn something new.  One of the greatest things that I’ve learned through this experience is self-confidence.  I am shy…really shy until I get to know you, then I’ll talk your ear off.  I’m a homebody who would rather just hang out with my family and never broaden my friend spectrum  – I know you guys are shocked now- but it’s true…well it was true.  Through the experience of running, I’ve learned I am capable of so much more than I ever imagined.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I could run 11 miles –or 13.1 in 9 days!  And I’ve learned that my body can take me across that finish line – that my body is capable of succeeding in a year-long goal.   This new confidence has translated in every other aspects of my life.  The other day I invited my neighbor to go run 6 miles with me, a neighbor I hardly know, and my husband told me after I got back from talking to her, “WOW, you never would have talked to someone you didn’t know, let alone be one on one with someone like that for over an hour”  and it’s true.  I’m still way insecure and think that everyone I talk to hates me…but I’ve come to be more comfortable in social settings and enjoy all the new friends that I am meeting! 

**Today I went to the gym and ran 2 miles at an 8:34 pace and then a 3rd mile at 9:09 pace.  (Just did 3 miles cause didn’t want to get to sweaty to get back to work) – I don’t shower…don’t judge! Now if I can just keep the 9:09 pace all through my half marathon I’ll be ecstatic…but that’s not going to happen.  I need to just focus on holding a 10:00 pace through the Provo half and then work on my speed for my Utah Valley Half.**

**Another update for y'all - I am down to 3.4 lbs left to lose before my half - so all of you guys - all one of you that told me what I would owe you - just know I'm not owing anyone anything! The blogger sugar fast that is going on inspired me.  I am by no means doing a sugar fast...HELL no (you guys are amazing, I am not) - but I have limited my sugar intake - and today my boss bought me some oreos...he thought it would be cool to try this new berry oreo flavor - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT - most disgusting thing in my life, I am not sure I'll ever want an Oreo again. And just thinking about it is making me gag.  Seriously worst idea ever. **

What have you learned? 

Link it to Julia's blog...cause it's the cool thing to do! 

What's your favorite Oreo flavor through the years?

I loved the peanut butter/chocolate half and half creme - they were the best...why did they do away with them!!!

4 comments:

  1. yeahhhh link it to my blog b/c it really is the cool thing to do :)

    you are getting crazy fast girl! you are going to kick my butt next time we run together :)

    love the things you learned and love that you invited your neighbor running!!

    favorite oreo is the mint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... sugar fast? that's just crazy talk...

    and way to go on your super speedy miles! very impressed! :) You will rock the half marathon.

    best oreo... candy cane ones that come out at Christmas. I can literally eat the ENTIRE package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your weight loss lady I am so proud of you! I think my sister wears 8.5 and needs a new pair of shoes so I will talk to her and let you know.

    I love your lessons learned and could not agree with you more about simply learning confidence and self worth. That is absolutely the most important thing I have learned that I am capable of doing things I never thought possible.

    My favorite oreo is definitely mint and preferably in a mileshake. ha ha have a great Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your improved running AND weight loss Rochelle!! That's fantastic!

    So glad you figured out the cause of your pain--get some new shoe ASAP!! Have a great weekend!

    Love this post btw!

    ReplyDelete