It's amazing how fast time is going! Seriously I'm down to almost 80 days until my half marathon. Well it was 80 days. I'm changing my plan and thinking of signing up for either the Thanksgiving Point Half - April 30th or Provo City Half - May 7th...I graduate (totally pulling out the cap and gown and everything :) ) my training program in 3 weeks and to keep up that mileage until June without doing a half seems like a long time to wait. I'm ready to get out there and do one - then work on making my pace better by June. I have in my head in June I'm doing the half around 2 hours...I have high hopes - so I'm doomed for failure!
So Saturday my neighbors and I decided to go for a run. Now I've been running 3 times a week for 9 months now and my two neighbors did a 10k last July but haven't really ran much since. One, Sasha, hasn't ran at all since July, while Kim had been running but no more than 3 miles and not religiously like me. I was planning on an 8 mile run, so cockly I thought, ok I'll run 3.5 with them and then go run 4.5 on my own right afterwards. Can you guess who the first person to walk was due to a side stitch that KILLED me, and it was only 1.5 miles in?? Well let's just say I felt so dumb. I didn't get my 8 miles in on Saturday....but I did TODAY! That's what great thing about running - there is always tomorrow or another week to do the run you didn't have time for or couldn't complete.
I've got to figure out my side stitch situation? Maybe it's all my soda..haha but it only happens on my morning runs - not sure if it's a hydration problem, an eating problem, or a speed problem (ie starting out too fast) but I need to figure it out.
Here's what my hopes are for this week:
M: 8 miles ( I did 3.5 outside with my neighbor, then 4.5 on the treadmill)
T: 3 miles
W: 5 miles
R: P90X or BL Kinect game
S: 9-10 miles (it will be a stretch to do 10 miles, but I've been debating doing a marathon this year - like September - Top of Utah - and so I am seeing if I can tweak my training program)
Hope everyone has a great week in store - I need to get back to my homework ( I neglect it too often)
awesome job on your run!!! you should do the provo half...rachelle is already signed up. I am thinking about signing up. basically it will be utah running/extraordinaires taking over the provo half. it will be amazingly great. plus i think it is a lot cheaper than thanksgiving point?
ReplyDeleteanywayyy...you are awesome! and I definitely think you can do a marathon this year!
Good job on the 8 miler. I wish I could help you out with the side stiches. I used to get them SOOOO BAD every single time I ran. But since I have been running more consistantly I haven't had nearly as many problems.
ReplyDeleteYou should definitely sign up for the Provo half. And julia is right it is like $25.00 cheaper than the Thanksgiving point half. Let us know what you decide and good luck with 10 this weekend. I am shooting for a 5K+13 more miles. YIKES!
Rochelle,
ReplyDeleteI've been following your blog for sometime now. Love reading your posts!! Well I thought I'd ask since you do live in Utah. I registered for the SLC Half on the 16th but I will be out of town that weekend. Just wondering if you'd be interested in buying my spot for only $40!! Registration is now $80!! There is one catch - you'd have to run under my name, unfortunately bib names are non-transferable. Let me know if your interested! I will be doing the Thanksgiving Half. The provo half is a great downhill course!! I loved it!
oops i thought you meant the provo canyon half that goes down the canyon. but the one your talking about, the provo city half is also a great course. hopefully this year it's better weather. it was my first half last year and it rained, snowed, and hailed the entire time!!
ReplyDeleteI'm going with starting out too fast, quicker runs sometimes = less oxygen flow (or just less productive oxygen flow) if you're moving faster but not focused on breathing your muscles could cramp due to lack of oxygen. -But that's just a guess, could be any of the above I'm no pro :)
ReplyDeleteYou're amazing keep up the good work!
P.S. I definitely think you should buy that girl's place in SLC!