Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm bi-winning....thanks dr. loser

So yesterday I got my Fitness magazine and decided to read it during my workout.  Which I am freaking feeling it. I only got 3.5 miles out of my 5 because I tried that weird button called incline on my treadmill.  I started with one mile at 9:00 pace, then kicked up the incline to 4 and tried to hold a 10 M/M pace for as long as possible, then upped the incline everytime I had to lower my pace - ( a lot )  My shins were already really tight - and now my calves are feeling it.  It feels great!!

Back to the point.  My fitness mag had two wonderful, speaking to me articles.  The first one - on failure! It talks about how women are more prone to "overthink" and "overanalyze" our failures.   "In sports, focusing on the negative...is one of the worst things an athlete can do. Negativity hurts your performance now and it can impair performances down the line."  That's so true.  The more I dwell on how bad I sucked it up during the 10k, the more I want to quit running all together because I never think I will be good enough to keep going.  And how women are more apt to think once they have failed during with a diet, to just say screw it and do bad the rest of the day.



And the second article was on CHOCOLATE - well cravings.  It talked about how processed foods make you crave them more and is so much easier to eat.  I eat a lot of processed food.  I try to eat my fruits and veggies - but I'm a fulltime working mom with a husband that works full time - I get home and crash.  The last thing I want to do is cook dinner that takes longer than 20 minutes, so we eat a lot of box dinners, packaged dinners, or fast food.  That's something that we need to change for sure and I've been a ton better lately. It also talked about how women are more prone to the cravings due to our woman-ness.   It's possible for food to be as addictive as alcohol or drugs.  And how these processed foods can create a "second meal effect" that actually leaves you feeling hungerier.  And it takes the body two days to recover from a sugar high.    Here are some tips it gives to curb cravings: Avoid your triggers, take control, stick to a schedule, and get some satisfaction. When the cravings hit:  wait ten minutes, eat something smarter, have some good with the bad.  After you overindulge(what I do all the time!) Don't beat yourself up, limit the damage, stop the second meal effect { after the day of splurge, eat a high fiber snacks to go along with your three meals}

Seriously these articles were talking to me!  They were so good, among the other amazing articles.  So yesterday I finally ordered a double jogging stroller....I so hope I like it.  So my hubbie and me can go running again together instead of rotating.


And today I answered a St. Patty's day question right and won the "Green Smoothie Diet Book" and am kind of excited.  I need to eat more veggies and finding a good smoothie will aid in that. 

Tonights workout was a nice easy paced 4.75 miles ( I meant to do 5 but miscalculated and my hands were frozen by the end so I decided to go in instead of doing another lap around my neighborhood to make it an even 5)  It was such a great run.  I decided to do a slow run where I worried not about speed, but just about enjoying the run - so I monitored my garmin and made sure I was always running slower than 10 M/M.  Well until the last mile - then I was so cold, I was ready to be done.  And I'm sure you're sick of me posted my info on my run - but I LOVE my Garmin - it's freaking awesome and I love knowing each of my miles!!

 Mile 1: 10:18
 Mile 2: 10:25
 Mile 3: 10:17
 Mile 4: 10:21
 Mile 5: 9:47 (.75)
Total: 4.75 - 48:57 - Average pace - 10:18

Can I just first say.  The whole time running - I was just reflecting on how far I've come.  Who would have ever thought that I could run for 50 minutes straight without being tired, without any pain, and without walking.  It was just a wonderful run to remind me why I love running!

Hope everyone is having a great night!  Whose bracket's suck as much as mine?  But you know the best part of March Madness - the amazing upsets - Go Morehead!!!  If only Belmont would pull through for me!  (Starting praying for them right now!)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE upsets...unless it's Duke being upset. : )
    Kentucky almost lost today, too. I sat in front of the tv all day today. At least I can use my foot as an excuse! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our double jogger! Hope you enjoy yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your run. I am so proud of you! I am excited for your double jogging stroller, I think you will totally love it.

    Also such good advice from the magazines. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete