Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy. ~Norman Vincent Peale

**disclaimer – I wrote this at work and just barely found out Janae wrote something about this too…must be a theme. So check her’s out too!  It must be self-esteem day!**

I’ve been having a hard time lately.  I don’t want this to be a downer post because so many people, especially those in Japan, are going through so much more than me.   I know for me, once you get a hit to your self-esteem – it seems like you begin this downward spiral. 
So I’ve been doing this weight loss competition with my husband because I have less than two months to get my crap together before I stop nursing and let’s just say – I am up two pounds as of today.  And my work took me out to the all you can eat salad bar and meat place – Tucanos – so I have done horrible on my diet today.  I keep saying I am going to start over and be good – but I suck.  I do good for about two days and then I binge for two days…then repeat.   So I believe this is the start of my downward spiral.  Cause I’m a failure at dieting….
Then I get hit in the nose.  Nothing like a big swollen nose with a cut to make you feel beautiful and sexy.  And then the bad race, and then feeling like a failure as a wife for not cooking dinner all the time like my neighbors do, feeling like a failure as a mother for working full time, and then just feeling like a complete idiot that no one likes ( Yes all of these are my big huge insecurities - I have issues I know!)

I keep trying today to get over it - but I am having a hard time. I've just lost 55 lbs but I'm not comfortable in my new body yet.  My husband keeps chiming in how amazing I am - sure wish that magically made all my insecurities go away!  I was researching a little on components to the good self esteem and here is a few things that caught my eye:

We need humility to gain self esteem.  The humility that comes with inner strength and peace.  It is the humility that allows us to accept and live with our own warts without cosmetics to hide them.  It is important to learn to live with our uncorrectable physical and mental defects without complaint or explanation.
Being true to one’s own self is the essence of honesty and a keystone of self-esteem.  Am I secure enough in my love of myself to laugh at myself, to admit mistakes, to graciously accept a compliment?  Am I secure in my love of others to smile and say hello  to a perfect stranger?

Much of our self-respect is built by our own hard work, our thrift, and by trying to be independent as far as possible.
One of my favorite statements up there is the ability to accept a compliment...I get this all the time for my beautiful friend, Sasha.  Anytime someone starts saying something other than thank you after a compliment she just replys "You're Welcome."  Why is it so hard for us to accept compliments from other people?  Why is it so hard to BELIEVE compliments that others give us.
I'm going to actively work hard on trying to become the woman my husband thinks I am...that I want to be.  I'm going to try hard to accept my flaws and things I can't change, embrace them, and move on.  It's going to be a long process I am sure.
So tonight I'm doing a 5 mile run on the treadmill...dang wind and rain.  And I'm thinking of doing some inclines in my training...but I'm nervous!  And tonight I had the most ghetto-ist dinner.  Whole grain penne pasta, lite alfredo sauce...and Hot Dogs...and it's actually really good!  I didn't want to cook meat, cause I'm that lazy.
Are you guys excited!  March Madness comes in full force tomorrow!  Who do you have going all the way?  I changed my bracket so many freaking times - and I finally think I've decided on Duke vs Florida with Duke winning.  I try to be different for the most part - cause I know many people are on the Ohio St & Kansas bandwagon.  I know there is at least 200 Utahn's that have BYU going to the final four - and if I knew who the heck Wofford was, I would have them losing the first round.  I hate BYU - there I said it and I feel better. 
Are you guys excited for St. Patty's day?  What are your plans? I am going to try to remember to put both boys and myself in green.  So excited for my St. Patty's day lunch - woot woot - and for the games...did I mention I was excited for that?

5 comments:

  1. I think we were meant to be Best Friends. I picked Duke vs Florida in the final with Duke winning!!!!!

    55 pounds is AMAZING!! You should be very proud. I understand waht you mean, though. I have lost 40 pounds in the last year and I'm by far my worst critic. I don't feel like I fit with my body. I'm getting better...but I'm working at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. So I go through spurts as you are, where I don't feel "good enough". I have always been very insecure about my body image, and it has taken me a LONG TIME to overcome my insecurities. I think the most important, and hardest thing, is to stop comparing yourself to others, and stop caring what other people think. As long as YOU know you are good enough, and are doing your best. That's what really matters. It doesn't matter what other people think.

    Secondly. As far as diets go. If you are doing a diet that is restricting you to the point that you hate it. You willprobably fail on that diet 9 times out of 10. If you feel like your missing out on something, you are setting yourself up to binge because you feel like you need to overcompensate for "being good". In my experience, "diets" don't work for me. It's been more about retraining my eating habits, and not telling myself, "I can't eat cookies". Because heaven knows I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT COOKIES!

    Anyway....that was super long. Feel better! St. Patrick's day is just another day for me. I'm sure as soon as my Little C get's bigger, it will be a bigger deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um okay let me just start with the fact that YOU LOST 55 LBS. You have to be proud of that because that my dear is simply AMAZING!!

    Secondly you are an amzing wife and mother I can see that in the love you share for your family. I know life can get you down but please try to remember all of your accomplishments and all of the small things you do for those around you on a daily basis.

    Thirdly-I hate BYU too. There I said it too. lol I love March madness but am not even filling out a bracket this year. It has gotten so political and Ut. State getting a 12th seed is just striaght up crap.

    ha ha Have a great day girl. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! -now you can say thank you in your head! I've been struggling with similar feelings I am learning to laugh at myself and prioritize what's really important in my life - HARDER THAN I THOUGHT! You should try polska kielbasa sausage next time instead of hotdogs -you still dont have to cook them :) I hate BYU too! YAY! And today we all dressed in green, had green eggs with ham, green milk, and green toast. Making a st patty's craft with the boys and painting faces then shamrock cookies and corn beef and cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an amazing friend--amazing person--amazing runner. DANG you're amazing. ;)
    And I don't care how many world problems there are (don't mean that in an uncaring way....) but our feelings are very real and you are entitled to feel how you do--I definitely can relate! And just so you know, we've had the LAAAAAAMEST dinners this week. Like, big time. I didn't even meal plan this week! Now THAT is super lame in my house! :)

    ReplyDelete