Monday, January 10, 2011

"Runners Block...is there such a thing?"

So this weekend I went with my mom and step-dad to a store called NPS.  I'm not sure what it stands for or still exactly what it is made of.  But it has products that have fallen off trucks or aren't sellable and for reallys cheap.  And I was in heaven - they had lots of exercise equipment (all brand new, just not top of the line) for soooo cheap.  Stationary bikes for $30, Elliptical for $50, Bowflex for $75 - it was amazing.  If we had brought a truck and I had room in my house - you better believe I would have bought something to go with my treadmill at home. 

Then I spent the next two days watching the playoffs - anyone else love football?  I loved it more before I got married...now I watch so much SportsCenter and basketball, baseball, football, soccer that I am sick and tired of it by the time it's something I want to watch.  Anyway all the games were very good except my Kansas City Chiefs...they didn't show up.  I love football and even though my team usually sucks - I still root and cheer and hope for the best. 

Which is what we need to do in our weight-loss, fitness, or healthy living goals.  I know for me when I get disappointed or frustrated, I feel like I should just give in.  Thoughts of negativity come into my head.  With our goals, we need to keep a positive outlook.  We need to stay focused on the real reasons we are doing things and not let disappointments get us down.  On Saturday I got on the treadmill to run 4 miles - and ended up running .3....yep you read right.  .3  and I was done.  I think I psyched myself out - the thought of being able to run that far is great yet I think mentally I still believe I can't.  I've run 5 miles once...and haven't been able to do it since.  I need a good confidence booster to help get me going again. 

Research shows the importance of believing in the ability to succeed on a weight-loss plan. In a study of obese men and women in the Netherlands, researchers found that those who had confidence in their ability to control their weight — and did not believe that it was caused by medical reasons — lost more weight. 4 Furthermore, the participants' belief in their ability to make wise food selections helped with weight loss.

Getting rid of unhelpful thought patterns and establishing helpful ones can boost weight-loss success. This involves both recognizing negative thoughts that sabotage weight-loss efforts and shaping realistic expectations about outcomes. Obesity experts believe that those who develop more realistic attitudes about their body weight and enjoy a good support network will be able to achieve greater weight loss.5

Any tips for overcoming these self-confidence hurdles? Anyone else have these struggles and have success or failure stories?  I don't want to quit running and quit training for a marathon just because I think I can't improve my distance.  I never thought I'd be able to run 1 mile, let alone 5...so that's not going to stop me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment