So this is totally a downer post - but today I feel discouraged. I LOVE and I mean love reading running blogs - I blog stalk many - but today everytime I looked a at a blog - I just felt frustrated. I know, I am new to running..but it's so frustrating seeing these amazing miles per hour speeds and it seems like I am the only slow poke runner out there. Sure I've run a 10 minute mile in the last 6 months...but then in desperation quickly turn the treadmill back to 12 minute miles. And I used to run 8 minute miles...in JUNIOR HIGH! I know many of these blogs have people that have been running forever, never had a 50 lb weight gain, or years of being able to count on their hands the number of times they have exercised in that year. But alas today I just feel frustrated. I will never be an elite athlete or even be able to pretend to be a runner. At bootcamp I was all excited when it was time to go on the treadmill - cause I knew I could do - not well, not fast, not long - but it was the only thing I had since I have no upper body strength, haven't done a squat since I was 9 months pregnant trying to do anything to have that baby, and sure as heck have no abs!
Running is all I can do - and today I just had an awakening of how mediocre I am at that. How many people are better than me, how many people can really say they are runners. I'm just a wanna be runner. I feel like Phoebe while running with Rachel - remember that episode? I watched it tonight while running my 3 miles. Yep, that's me...having fun but looking dumb!
This probably all comes from the fact that I took the plunge - I registered for the Utah Valley Half Marathon. Now I'm kind of freaking out!!!
I'm so sorry you feel discouraged! DON'T!! You are awesome. You are going to rock the UV 1/2 just like you rocked the boot camp. You are amazing girl, and don't you forget it!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you feel discouraged. That's pretty much how I feel daily too...it's hard being a new runner and seeing all these runners that can run a million miles and it's not even hard. I'm hoping to do a 1/2 marathon this summer too...and right now I'm barely getting in my 3 miles, so good job, you are doing better than me.
ReplyDeleteGirl!!!! I am so sorry that you are feeling discouraged!!! Hun we all start somewhere and every single runner goes through discouraging times. Don't give up....keep going, you are amazing!! You can't compare yourself to others because everyone has different talents and strengths. YOU are running a half marathon!!!! To be able to enjoy running to the fullest you have to do it for yourself....just like everything in life you can't fall into the comparison trap! You are beyond amazing and I think the world of you! Let me know if you need anything. I LOVE that episode of friends!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. That is crazy that you had Mr. Louder too!!!!!
If it makes you feel any better I could hardly get a mile in today. So you did a lot more than me.
ReplyDeleteMuncher Cruncher & Hungry Runner Girl are those girls you just love to hate right...Megan can kick anyones butt at working out. And who runs 14 miles just for fun in the morning before work. Just kidding love you Megs & Janae!
I think it's pretty impressive to just be running, regardless of the time. And, the fact that you are running a half is AWESOME! I go through times when I read these awesome runners blogs and think that I shouldn't even mention what my pace was, but I quickly change my mind. Be proud that you run! Lots of people can't even say that! : )
ReplyDelete